Section G Getting it right
- Understand your relative’s behaviour and mental health needs, and encourage others to do so.
- There are many different things that can be done to improve someone’s life and reduce challenging behaviour – as well as, or instead of, prescribing psychotropic medication.
- When families and professionals work in partnership they can achieve the best support for the person.
- Person-centred support focuses on the person’s individual needs and matches their environment, the people around them and what they do every day to what works best for them.
- Positive Behaviour Support aims to understand the person’s behaviour and uses a range of proactive strategies to prevent challenging behaviour.
- There are many types of plans that can be used at different times, for different purposes to explain how the person should be supported.